Nothing says summer like the blooms on my strawberry plants here in Ohio. When they ripen in late May-early June they are the sweetest berries you’ve ever tasted. I also enjoy berries in late February from my dome garden here in NW Ohio. There are a few varieties I know I can trust a harvest from. These sweet treats are easy to make and perfect for your next summer gathering, picnic, or date night.
Strawberry Shortcake Pancake Recipe
This is a super sweet treat for breakfast so be prepared to be energized! I recommend serving this up on a summer day after picking fresh berries. You will also want to check out my whip cream recipes to dish up on top.
This is a recipe I’ve been using for years from fresh homegrown strawberries in the Midwest.
Fun Facts About The Strawberry
- The American Indians would crush berries and mix it with cornmeal and bake into a bread long before the colonists arrived. The Colonists developed their own version of the recipe that was later known as Strawberry Shortcake.
- Strawberry Shortcake parties were popular in the 1850’s to celebrate the coming of summer
- Medieval stonemasons would carve strawberry designs on altars and around the tops of pillars in cathedrals representing perfection and righteousness.
- Only fruit with seeds on the outside rather than the inside is the strawberry which is also a member of the rose family.
- The first strawberry hybrid “Hudson” was developed in the USA in 1780
When you think Summer what fruit comes to mind? Don’t be sure to share your berry recipes with me! I’d love to hear from you so please share a comment below.