The first time I had cabbage soup was when I was in college and a friend of mine introduced me to this new diet. You can eat as much as you want … well… as long as you don’t mind all the high fiber and are able to watch the sodium. Today I share a few tips on making a delicious and truly healthy Cabbage Soup Recipe.
Cabbage Soup Recipe Additions
For this recipe, I am showcasing today you will need the following ingredients. Be sure to make sure you are only using fresh vegetables. I will add notes on additional herbs and vegetables you may want to consider in this post as well. Today I am throwing in some Rotisserie Chicken that I have on hand.
Below you will find a simple list of ingredients used to make this soup I am featuring in today’s post. A detailed and printable recipe is featured on this post today so scroll down for details.
- Olive Oil
- Large Sweet Onion
- Red Peppers
- Green Beans ( fresh or frozen)
- Chili Powder
- Pepper and Salt (to taste)
- Thyme Leaves ( or dried)
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth (I am using Chicken because of the meat option below)
- Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Parsley
- Chopped Rotisserie Chicken ( because I had it on hand)
How to Make Cabbage Soup in an Instant Pot
The printable recipe card below is using a dutch oven on the stovetop. I love using my electric pressure cooker or instant pot so here are the directions for that option. You can find the XL Power Pressure Cooker I recommend in my Bren Haas Shop here on my website.
I have only seen this product on Amazon.
- Set Instant Pot to “saute” setting ( or in Electric Pressure Cooker set to ‘Chicken’ ) and saute the onion, celery, and carrot for a few minutes, then garlic for 1 minute. Set to “Off” setting.
- Pour in remaining ingredients except parsley and the cooked chicken if you are using that ingredient.
- Secure lid and set valve to sealing position.
- Set to “manual” mode and select 15 minutes on Instant pot or in Electric Power Pressure Cooker set to ‘Soup and Stew’ for 12 Minutes.
- Let pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes then you can carefully quickly release any remaining pressure. Stir in parsley and chicken at this time. If using Chicken turn the Power back to saute as in step 1 so the chicken will heat up fast.
You all know I love creating videos to share my creative home and garden. This YouTube video can be found on my Bren Haas YouTube Channel. If you are a member of the YouTube Network please be sure to follow my channel.
Super Easy Cabbage Soup
It all starts with amazing ingredients. Check out my photos from the recipe below. In the video, I mention the grater which is pictured below. Every kitchen needs one of these!
Right as the lid was open and the steam fog removed from my camera lens.. look at all those beautiful ingredients.
Cabbage Soup Printable Recipe
Below is a printable card you are welcome to use as a pdf or print for your own record. I have added Chicken to mine in the photos featured on this page.
PRINTABLE RECIPE Below
If you enjoy this print option you can find more on my website at the link here.
Don’t Miss These Other Great Soup Recipes on My Site
This soup creation today has flavors from the garden you will come back for seconds for! In fact, the days I make this I have it for lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day. It isn’t too bad with a fried sunny side up egg on top. You will love my Spicy Chicken Soup Recipe if you enjoy the southwest of salsa flavors.
In conclusion of reading this post, I would like to hear what you think of adding Chicken to the cabbage soup. I really enjoyed it because we had it on hand and the boys aren’t super excited about only having vegetables in soup. Be sure to comment on this post and or reach out to me on social media at the links provided on this post.
Happy Cabbage Soup Day,