In this post, I’m sharing the first container vegetable garden filled with my favorite vegetables to enjoy on the deck and a few tips on how to grow success this season. Be sure to scroll to the bottom to see all the tips and tricks I have listed.
Container Vegetable Garden Ideas
Summer gardening in containers is convenient and allows just about anyone to enjoy homegrown veggies in their outdoor living space. I’m really excited about all the new varieties of tomatoes and peppers that are available this year that are container friendly.
I’m a fan of peppers not only for their taste but because of their beauty! In the image above is a combo I’m really excited about this season. I’ve paired up container peppers, tomato plants, and an annual the pollinators are going to love.
Container Vegetable Garden Idea and Growing Tips
Below are my top tips for growing vegetables on your patio or small space. Over the years I have learned so much about growing in a small space. Be sure to save this post on Pinterest so you can refer back to it from time to time.
- Make sure the plant gets enough sunshine. Most veggies require at least 6 hours of sun. Tomatoes and peppers love to get full sun so be sure to provide them with plenty of sunshine on your patio.
- Be sure to place the plants where they will get plenty of ventilation. Too many plants in one container is not a good thing!
- Add annuals to your container or close by to welcome pollinators – this is a MUST!
- Don’t let the plant-soil go dry. To prevent the soil from drying out be sure to add a product like Perlite which helps hold moisture in the soil. Cover the surface of the potting soil in planters with a layer of natural mulch. If you purchase a patio vegetable variety from HGTV Home Plants it has the proper soil in the container to help hold moisture.
- Be careful to not overwater the containers. most veggie plants do not like to have their ‘feet wet’. Soggy soil is no good! Using a good potting soil that allows drainage is a necessity for a successful harvest.
- Be sure to look for varieties have are for container friendly. There is a huge selection that are just for small space gardening so check the tags!
- Keep an eye out for bad bugs! One thing you won’t have to make a top priority with most new container friendly veggies is they are mostly diesese resistant.
Varieties I’m Growing This Year On My Deck
I’m really excited about the new container veggies by HGTV Home Plants which are conveniently available at The Andersons. I have the honor of trialing many of their plants in my home garden this year.
please note that the plants were given to me to try out in my home garden and I am not a paid sponsor.
I will have a full report on how these patio veggies taste as the season arrives and it’s time to harvest on my deck here in Ohio! Are you interested in adding a container vegetable garden to your home space? Ask me anything … I’m happy to help you grow successfully.