Succulents make eye-catching container choices because they are easy to grow and they can be found in almost any retail garden center. Today I am sharing my personal tips for growing succulents in containers successfully.
Tips for Growing Succulents In Containers
While planting succulents is pretty easy, today I want to share a few tips that will help keep plants healthy and happy. Succulents are one of the few plants that always do well in containers full sun. Below you will find tips on how to grow succulents in containers successfully.
- Make sure the container you grow succulents in has proper drainage. If succulents get too wet they will die. To prevent this be sure your container can drain water rapidly.
- Use a shallow container to be sure the succulent doesn’t get lost in the soil or potting medium.
- Protect your container of succulents from all danger of frost. Some succulents do not like to go below 32*F. Almost all succulents will need to brought indoors away from frost and freezing dangers. With a few lights and keeping the heat cozy succulents can do well indoors.
- Succulent containers love a full sun windowsill or under lights indoors during winter months. Succulents will not do well away from the sun or the proper light.
- Be creative with succulents by planting in garden pumice or other rock medium.
Bren’s Favorite Container Succulents
There are a few succulents I recommend that make excellent fillers. One of which is the Angelia Stonecrop pictured below.
There are many different varieties on the market today making it super fun to add succulents to containers. I recommend visiting your local garden center to see what they have in stock and ask questions before planting if you are new to succulent container gardening.
ENJOY …. and be sure to post lots of photos of your container on Twitter, Google, Facebook adding #gardenchat hashtag so we can all see!
I would love to hear about your succulents so be sure to reach out by sharing on the social buttons below. Fill out my contact form and leave me a message if you like!
Happy Succulent Gardening,