Everyone loves a juicy, sweet strawberry treat in early summer. In today’s post I share how strawberry plant growing tips I’ve learned over the years of growing them just about every way possible. Everything from in the ground, containers and year-round dome.
My Strawberry Plants
My strawberry growing began about five years after we moved out to the country. I grew the berries directly in the ground like the farmers do in my area. I’ve later been introduced to different varieties that grow productively in containers.
This video found at : Strawberry Growing Tips on YouTube with Bren Haas
Strawberry Growing Tips
- Add berries that grow well in your area. Reach out to local growers and garden centers to see what they recommend. I popular berry in NW Ohio is Jewel, June Berry and Ozark. I found information at the Ohio Extension Office site: Strawberries are an Excellent Fruit for the Home Garden
- Use straw in between plants to keep weeds out and hold moisture.
- Be sure the berries are planted in full sun.
- KEEP UP with the weeds….. weed often so the berry plants can grow healthy and multiply
Here are a few of the product I recommend to start seeds easily.
- Peat Pots : https://brenhaas.com/recommends/peat-pods-jiffy/
- Organic Seed Starting Soil: https://brenhaas.com/recommends/black-gold-seed-starting-mix/
- Jiffy Seed Starting Trays: https://brenhaas.com/recommends/jiffy-windowsill-greenhouse-plant-start-kit/
Do you grow strawberries? What will you add to your veggie garden this year? I want to connect with you so please leave a comment below!
[clear]Please note that this blog post has been updated from May 2015