My plants growing began about five years after we moved out to the country. I grew the berries directly in the ground like the farmers do in my area. I’ve later been introduced to different varieties that grow productively in containers.
This video found at: Strawberry Growing Tips on Bren Haas Channel
Strawberry Plant Growing Tips
- Add berries that grow well in your area. Reach out to local growers and garden centers to see what they recommend. I popular berry in NW Ohio is Jewel, June Berry, and Ozark. I found information at the Ohio Extension Office site: Strawberries are an Excellent Fruit for the Home Garden
- Use straw in between plants to keep weeds out and hold moisture.
- Be sure the berries are planted in full sun early in the season and until summer.
- KEEP UP with the weeds….. weed often so the berry plants can grow healthy and multiply
Supplies For Growing From Seed
Here are a few of the products I recommend starting seeds easily.
- Peat Pots
- Organic Seed Starting Soil
- Jiffy Seed Starting Trays
- A Strawberry Seed Variety like Alphine and Delizz
As the image shows above, not all strawberries are the same. These are super small strawberries that look cute in decorative displays like the window box. The flavor of these were not the best but they sure make nice conversation starters.
Below is a pack of strawberry plants found locally. You can always trust your local grower or the Bonnie Plant display for the best varieties in your area.
More Growing Strawberry Plant Post
I have been growing strawberries in my home garden since 2004 so you will want to check out my post. These are a few of my articles on my website packed with images and growing tip videos. Click on each image with post below!
Original post from February 2017
What do you think about growing your own Strawberries? Have you given this a try in your home garden? I hope you will consider commenting on my post to share any tips and tricks you may have about this topic. I look forward to connecting with you soon.
Happy Strawberry Growing,