Farro Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 5 1/2-cup servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, de-stemmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots (about ¼ cup), minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Pereg Gourmet Farro
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chives
- In a large 4-quart saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add in the shiitakes and sauté, about 3 minutes, until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add in the shallots, garlic and salt and sauté until shallots are slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Then add the farro and stir until the farro is slightly toasted and coated in butter.
- Then add in the white wine and let simmer until the wine evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the stock ¼ cup at a time, stirring continuously with each addition. Do not add more stock until the previous ¼ cup has been completely absorbed.
- Keep adding until the farro is cooked and mixture is creamy, about 30-40 minutes. You may not need all the stock.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and Greek yogurt immediately and then stir in mushrooms. Garnish with pine nuts and chives.
Tips for Storing Whole Grains
Because whole grains include the bran and germ of the grain, they must be stored a bit more carefully than their refined counterparts. Store grains covered, in a cool, dry spot out of direct sunlight for no more than 3 months for flours and meals and 6 months for intact grains. Consider keeping any grains or flours you don’t plan to use immediately in the freezer for best results.
Photos and Recipes from : Pereg Gourmet which was established in 1906, and is a family owned business, based in Clifton, NJ. For additional recipes and information visit www.pereg-gourmet.com and follow us on FB and Twitter. I love their products and recipes so that is why I’m sharing it with you today!