In today’s post, I am sharing fun information about the Thuja ‘Green Giant’ arborvitae growing in my landscape. This shrub was one of 4 I received for an unboxing project that turned into a conifer experiment.
Green Giant Arborvitae In Brens’ Garden
The Thuja standishii x plicata ‘green giant’ arborvitae
This wispy 3 feet tall shrub is growing in a container on my pond deck. I planted it in the container so I could keep an eye on it. We get many deer passing by our home gardens being out in the country along with the water source for most wildlife. The shrub is planted in a container as an experiment. I recommend planting the Green Giant in a grouping of at least 3-5 in your landscape. Planting in a container allows you to keep the small tree safe until they are big enough that critters like deer and rabbits won’t destroy them. Although the variety is deer resistant.
Green Giant Arborvitae Facts
Below are some of the facts about the Conifer I researched after doing the unboxing of this plant. I originally received the plants to do an unboxing video sharing information on how to properly ship conifers or arborvitaes.
- The green giant arborvitae can be expected to grow in Hardiness Zones 5–7
- The green giant arborvitae grows to a height of 50–60′ and a spread of 12–20′ at maturity
- This tree grows fast increasing in height of more than 24″ per year.
- The tree does well in full sun or partial shade. It does best with a minimum of four hours direct sun daily
- It does well in poorly drained and wet landscapes soil types.
- Darkens slightly during the winter season.
- It requires little or no pruning as it matures.
- Tolerates wind once established and withstands heavy ice or snow, making it a good choice for a fast-growing windbreak.
- Shows better resistance from browsing deer at maturity
The Arborvitaes Arrive
I originally received the green giant arborvitae as an unboxing project. The company that shipped these did an amazing job… check out the video and be sure to check out GreatGardenPlants.com
You can see more of my videos on my YouTube Channel at Bren Haas.
Arborvitaes Growing In Containers During The Winter
In this video featuring other arborvitaes, I grow in my garden you will see the Green Giant. You’ll see the trees up close and first hand how they handle container growth in hardiness zone 5b.
Be sure to comment on my video or this blog and let me know what you thought of the video. This video can be found on my YouTube Channel at Bren Haas.
In conclusion, after watching these conifers grow, I am trying to decide where in the garden I will use these. I am sure in the near future I will have to get a few more to do a group planting.
Get Your Thuja ‘Green Giant’ Arborvitae
Consider getting your Thuja Green Giant and other healthy plants shipped right to your door like these. If you can’t find the tree locally ask your friendly nursery about this variety. I have a list of Northwest Ohio Garden Centers I recommend on my website.
I’d love to hear from you so be sure to comment on my blog. If you would like to hear more from me be sure to connect on my contact page.