In this post I share my easy to make broccoli cheese soup using what you most likely have in your cabinet today! Check out the flavorful ingredients along with a few growing tips. It is amazing how the flavor changings with produce from your very own edible garden at home.
Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
I think the first time I fell in love with this soup is after enjoying a quick mix version. The powder package was loaded with sodium and I had to dress it up with extras from the kitchen to make it really pop. Adding some cheese from the refrigerator got me thinking about how I could make this even better from scratch. Over the years I have even made a yummy white cheddar version using frozen broccoli and ghee. Below is a quick run down on what ingredients I use in this soup.
- sweet onion
- Velveeta Cheese
- fresh cut into florets broccoli
- chicken broth (or mix your own with chicken bouillon)
- grated cheese
Was I right? I bet you have the ingredients in your kitchen today!
More Super Easy Recipes
For Most of my recipes I use my Yedi Pressure Cooker like a stock pot for quick clean up. It is also nice because I can keep it on ‘warm’ setting to enjoy later in the day.
The recipe is super easy to make…in fact I use my electric power pressure cooker to make up the entire recipe.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Printable Recipe
I love sharing the easy printable version of the recipes with hopes you will print and enjoy later. You can save a PDF of the recipe or print it now to add to your collection. Here ya’ go!
Note that this is titled the BEST EVER broccoli cheese soup. I gave it this title because the boys empty the pot every time I make this. I really believe adding fresh ingredients right from the garden like celery and carrots really make this POP! Interested in the hand held immersion blender?
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
By Bren Haas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cups of chicken stock (I used the powder jar of Chicken bouillon)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon gourmet mustard (I used ground stone variety or Dijon)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) freshly-grated white cheddar cheese
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 large head of broccoli)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chop up veggies for sauté ( onion and celery)
- Sauté the onion and celery on the ‘meat’ setting of the Electric Pressure cooker with olive oil or butter. DO not put the lid on while sauté
- Toss in carrots and let simmer with sauté mixture
- After about 2 minutes or until the carrots are getting soft add broccoli that has been cut into small pieces
- Stir in chicken bouillon water mix to the pot
- Mustard and seasons that you like are last to be added before closing the lid to go through the SOUP SETTING on the Electric Pressure Cooker. This soup setting is about 10 minutes
- After the soup cycle is complete go ahead and remove the lid by releasing pressure ( read your machines information on how to properly do this!)
- Pour in Milk and Cheese, stirring carefully before putting the lid back on so the soup can get hot again.
- SERVE with additional cheese and sourdough bread
Note: Store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Fresh Ingredients From The Garden Today
I put together a few short videos to show you how easy it really is to grow carrots and celery. This week in my Geodesic Bio Dome (greenhouse) I will be starting some new broccoli from seed to enjoy growing during the winter months. FINGERS cross they get enough heat to germinate as we head into mid-autumn.
Do you have a favorite ingredient to add to your Broccoli Cheese Soup? I would love to hear from you so be sure to reach out to me on my website.