During #gardenchat Twitter last night I shared a recipe that I had just whipped together for my family. Mondays get crazy in my house with Twitter chat prep and of course it is the first day of the work week. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes to put together and it is a great treat you can create from black raspberries we have in abundance in our back wood line growing wild.
— GardenChat w/ Bren (@BG_garden) August 31, 2015
Black Raspberry Dumplings Recipe
- 3 cups fresh or frozen black raspberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups prepared buttermilk baking mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Additional sugar, optional
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- vanilla ice cream to serve with ( not needed … but YES!!!)
- In a 6-qt. pan, combine raspberries, 1 cup sugar, water and cornstarch; stir to blend. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, combine buttermilk baking mix, buttermilk and remaining sugar in a bowl. Mix until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through.
- Add dash of nutmeg and sugar before serving. I like to scoop it over vanilla ice cream!
- 6 servings.