Keep healthy this season by eating fresh veggies from your garden or farmers market. This super easy to create Sweet Potato Soup is one of my favorites most anytime of the year.
Sweet Potato Soup in A Hurry
The delicious, easy to make soup can be whipped up with basic ingredients found in the pantry or from the garden. I’m really excited because I have plenty of sweet potatoes growing in a container in my garden I can harvest from. Nourish Your Body with this tasty and light meal is designed to replenish nutrients, detoxify the body, help digestion, and aid weight loss to recharge you for the season ahead. Enjoy the Sweet Potato Soup recipe below!
Ingredients Needed for the Recipe
- olive oil
- sweet onion
- sweet potatoes
- red pepper flakes
- vegetable broth
Directions and exact measurements for this recipe are below. Scroll down to get the printable recipe card!
Here’s Where My Sweet Potatoes Grow
If I can grow sweet potatoes in Ohio… you can too! All you need is some sunshine, warm temperatures, and healthy soil in a deep container. Last year I grow sweet potatoes from a four-pack starter plant I picked up at a local Mom and Pop garden center. They were ready to harvest just in time for Thanksgiving after planting them in early June. The sweet potatoes featured in the images below can be moved into the greenhouse if the temperature gets close to freezing or a frost in my Ohio gardening zone 5b.
I’ve also got some sweet potatoes growing in my Geodesic Bio Dome for the winter so I may get a harvest early next spring in time for Easter. Now if I can master growing carrots I will be all set.
The key to growing Sweet Potatoes is to pick an area like a raised bed or landscape that has really loose soil. Partly sandy is perfect in a full sun location. The soil has to really get warmed up in order for those potato starters to get growing. In Ohio, most of the varieties I have grown like Bonnie Plants take the entire summer to produce.
Sweet Potato Soup Printable Recipe
below is the printable recipe card you are welcome to download for your own collection. I look forward to sharing more with you in the near future about fun sweet potato recipes.
Be sure to connect with me below and tell me what you really think about sweet potato soup.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes peeled and dice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth or more for thinner consistency
- Saute onions and garlic in skillet
- Add the diced carrots stirring frequently until the carrots are softened slightly. ( about 6 minutes)
- Add the ginger, red pepper flakes and paprika.
- Turn the heat up while adding diced sweet potato and vegetable broth. Bring this to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes with lid on stock pot. Once the sweet potatoes are tender it is ready.
- Use a ladle to transfer the soup ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend on high for one minute or until creamy. If needed… add more broth to keep it creamy.
- Serve with a favorite microgreen or herb garnish
I would love to hear from you and if you have grown your own sweet potatoes before. Comment on my post located on this site or reach out to me on my social media links provided. My goal is to help you grow more edibles in your home and garden today.