Toward the end of the summer harvest season, I can’t wait to cook up all day what we have on hand. One of my favorite dishes to enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner is my Italian Farmers Market Omelet Recipe. In this post find the recipe along with a few growing tips.
Italian Farmers Market Omelet Recipe
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- chopped kale
- red onion
- olive oil
- chopped prosciutto
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Omelets are the easiest meal to make year-round really. It is the best Italian experience to be able to go out in your own backyard and pick some produce. The Italians I know are known for using what they have on hand.
Directions For the Italian Farmers Market Omelet Recipe
You will find 3 parts to putting this recipe together. After your 1st time making it you will be able to do 2 or maybe even 3 segments at the same time. The key is to have fresh ingredients ready to go. Be sure to wash and chop up all produce ahead of time so the recipe goes fast. This is for sure a quick recipe you can enjoy with family and friends.
Scroll down just a little further to find the printable recipe card. I hope you find it easy to use as well as share with your friends.
Inspired by what I had on hand this summer!
Italian Farmers Market Omelete
- 1/2 cup of rinsed, chopped kale
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup of diced mushroom
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil ( if using a skillet like Copper Chef you won’t need to add olive oil to skillet)
- 3/4 cup of chopped prosciutto
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- In favorite 9″ skillet saute 3/4 of the onion, garlic for about 2 minutes
- Add mushroom and saute for an additional 2 minutes
- Move first veggies to the side in skillet and add chopped kale that has been tossed in olive oil into the skilled and continue to saute about 2 minutes before mixing with the other veggies in skillet.
- Add store bought dried Italian season mix or create your own (garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, celery salt and regular salt)
- Stir in fresh chopped prosciutto and saute in the veggie mix for about 3 minutes blending the flavors.
- Remove saute veggies from skillet and keep to side in separate bowl
- Mix 4 eggs and 1/4 cup of 2% milk till well blended
- Pour 1/2 of mix in hot skillet making sure it covers bottom of skillet. Put lid on to help cook the top of the egg mix. Watch so it doesn’t burn – should take about 4-5 minutes to cook egg.
- Once you are able to flip the omelet without it falling a part you can add 1/2 the saute veggie mix to one 1/2 of the egg omelet. Add 1/4 cup of cheese to top of saute veggies.
- Flip 1/2 of omelet to close it and keep in skillet with lid on for another 1-2 minutes so the cheese can melt inside egg.
- Remove egg from skillet.
- Add the remaining diced red onions and tomatoes to the hot skillet – saute for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- spoon 1/2 the tomato / onion mix on top of each Omelet – sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil from your garden!
Kale… love it or leave it behind? I’ve heard so many mixed reactions about kale but I’ll tell you after reading all the good stuff that is packed in this easy to grow green treat I can’t get enough of it. What did you think of it used in the Italian Farmers Market Omelet? I hope you will take the time and comment on my website. Don’t be shy and tell mee what you really think of this recipe.