Sad to see the end of summer approaches but enjoying the bountiful fruit harvest? It doesn’t have to end after the harvest has been preserved. You can easily use the fruit you saved from summer and even store-bought fruit to create this amazing recipe. In today’s post, I share my favorite easiest summer fruit pie recipe that I was inspired to create from Scratch! ( Note: Scratch! is a cookbook by Maria Rodale)
Summer Fruit Pie From Scratch!
Take some time to enjoy this delicious and healthy fruit pie dessert to celebrate the end of the season. Author Maria Rodale shares an exclusive peek at her new cookbook, SCRATCH: Home Cooking for Everyone Made Simple, Fun, and Totally Delicious (Rodale Books; October 11, 2016). Find the publication featured on this blog post on Amazon today! Watch as Maria walks you through the easy steps of adding the ingredients to create a pie crust and adding the fruit and delicious toppings for the recipe of Easiest Summer Fruit Pie. Can’t keep up with the short video or just want a printed copy of the recipe? In this post, you will also find the option to print the recipe so you can add it to your menu plan this season.
Easiest Summer Fruit Pie Recipe
I was able to get a copy of the recipe for you to print and enjoy this season. ENJOY!
Summer Fruit Pie Recipe
- 6 cups chopped fresh fruit (such as berries, cherries, or peaches)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream or ice cream,
- Incredible Flaky Pie Crust1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons lard, at room temperature
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to a round 1⁄4 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie dish with the dough, trim any overhanging dough, and crimp or decorate the edge (see
- Place the fruit in a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and lemon juice, and mix to combine.
- Halve the mixture and divide between 2 bowls.
- Add the tapioca starch to one bowl and stir to combine. Pour this mixture into the pie shell, dot with the butter, sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden. Set aside to
- When the pie has cooled, top with the reserved fresh fruit (leaving excess liquid behind in the
- bowl) and serve immediately
- Incredible Flaky Pie CrustIn a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the butter and lard and mix as gently and quickly as possible with your fingertips until
- the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. At this point, place the mixture in the fridge
- until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix quickly to form a smooth dough. Flatten into
- a disk, wrap in parchment or wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until you are ready to roll it out.
Here is my pie before baking! I actually make mini pies with my Oven Air Fryer because it is usually just me and my hubby. I also want to share the beautiful strawberries harvest in November that can be sued in this recipe.
Thank you for visiting my website today!
I would love to hear from you so be sure to comment on my website blog. You can find me on social media at the links provided on this page and @brenhaas. Be sure to tell me if you love the book as much as I do! It is super easy to spin your own recipes from this book so be sure to check it out and be creative.
Happy Cooking From Scratch,