September 16 is National Guacamole Day!
Guacamole was created by the Aztecs in Mexico and not much has changed since. We’re still using very similar recipes! Why not take it up a notch? The owners at Cocina 214 have simple advice – try adding toppings to your guac, just like you would an ice cream sundae. Toppings such as mango, blue cheese and habanero peppers add pizzazz to the subtle flavor of avocados.
6 Avocados (Halved, seeded & peeled)
¼ Medium Red Onion (diced)
2 tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Jalapeno (seeded & diced)
1 Roma Tomato (seeded & diced)
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Lime, juiced
- Scoop the avocados in a large stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Add the squeezed lime juice and coat the avocadoes.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients and mash them together.
- Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes then serve.
- Garnish with chip and/or lime wedge
For the Guacamole Trio:
- Scoop guacamole into 3 separate bowls or separated dip bow/tray
- In the first, add fresh blue cheese crumbles to taste or desired consistency. Garnish with blue cheese.
- In the second bowl/tray, add fresh, chopped mango and pineapple to desired taste. Garnish with chopped mango and pineapple.
- In the third bowl/tray, add diced Habanero peppers or your favorite Habenero sauce/puree to desired level of spice. Garnish with chopped Habanero peppers.