Friday has been traditionally known as ‘Pizza Night ‘ at our house. In today’s post I’m sharing some growing basil tips to create an amazing grilled pesto pizza recipe.
Amazing Grilled Pesto Pizza Recipe
(new photo coming soon)
Fresh is best… be sure to check out the basil growing tips below.
Growing Basil Tips
Below are some basic growing basil tips that will have you baking pizza in no time. Basil is super simple to grow the summer garden. I have attempted to winter it over in the greenhouse but it just doesn’t do well in the humid cool conditions my greenhouse usually has in early winter. It’s important to realize basil needs the right conditions to grow successfully. Surprisingly, the best basil I ever tasted was from my home garden and grown from seed. The seed had fallen from the flowers of a basil plant I purchased at a local garden center. All of a sudden I had little baby basil plants sprouting up in the garden. Without delay let’s jump right into how to grow healthy basil.
- Avoid introducing disease by planting basil outside after all danger of frost as past and the soil is warm and dry.
- Don’t crowd plants … the basil does great in its own container or in a raised bed with plenty of space to grow.
- Harvest the basil as soon as the leaves become big enough and the plant won’t be too thin if you harvest.
- Harvest leaves early morning or late in evening so the plant isn’t stressed.
- Equally important is to pinch plants frequently to encourage bushy growth.
Siam Queen Basil
One of my favorite basil plants to grow in my home garden is this Siam Queen not to mention it’s an AAS winner. This herb plant is a proven winner because it is an All America, Selection Winner.
Have you grown basil in your home garden? Furthermore, I’d love to hear about it so comment below so we can connect.
Grow some basil with me,