This cool 50* and cloudy morning I took a short break from gardening to tour on a live stream tour the Auburn Oaks Garden Center located about 2 hours north in the Detroit Michigan area. This is what I LOVE about social media … Shannon ( we know her on Twitter #gardenchat as @FlynnFish ) gave us a private tour of the garden center that has been serving the Detroit area for over 50 years. In this post you will find the live stream via BLAB, Youtube Link to the playback, iTunes podcast link, Open House information and a few tips on spring planting for home owners.
[alert-note]Live Stream Video Tour [/alert-note]
Here is the video I put together from a live stream with Shannon up in Auburn Oaks Michigan.
Find this video on my YouTube at : https://youtu.be/A1Gy5HBkdV4
About Carl Krause who founded the Auburn Oaks Garden Center in 1964 believed he ‘never worked a day of his life’. Obviously, Carl was passionate about growing trees and plants!
[alert-note]Spring Planting Tips [/alert-note]
Shannon was kind enough to share a few tips with us for homeowners who are itching to get in the garden this season.
- Be sure to pay attention to frost dates ( in hardiness zone 5b – the latest date is May 15) and do not plant annuals outside until after that frost date.
- You can plant NOW in your garden pansies, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions are a few Shannon recommended on the live stream. Listen Here: https://youtu.be/A1Gy5HBkdV4?t=10m38s
- Ranunculus are beautiful in the landscape and in containers but you need to protect from frost.
- This is a great time to clean up your gardens and add mulch.
- Spring is perfect for tree planting in the landscape.
Chickens are great to have to keep the bad bugs out of your plants! Shannon shares their chickens at the garden center with us at : https://youtu.be/A1Gy5HBkdV4?t=4m28s
I’m looking forward to traveling North to visit with Shannon and my friend Lisa (@houseplantguru) to attend the garden center Open House and visit the Orchid Show. You can follow our shares on Instagram, Twitter and I’ll share a photo collection on my Facebook from Saturdays fun tour of Michigan.
Happy Gardening Friends,