There is no denying that one of the highlights of summer is homegrown tomatoes. In today’s post, we discuss 5 Important Things You Should Know About Tomatoes.
5 Things You Should Know
- One serving of tomato is loaded with Vitamins A, C, and K. These ripe treats also are a great source of fiber and because they have lots of water in them they are the fill you up food.
- Tomatoes are super easy to process and save for year-round enjoyment.
- Tomatoes are a natural cancer fighter because of the Lycopene in each ripe bite!
- Determinate Tomatoes are plants that get to a set height and then stop growing. This plant will flower and set their fruits in a very short time. Determinate tomato plants are usually smaller and are best staked, in containers or caged.
- Indeterminate tomatoes plants are crazy growers – meaning they are very viney! IF you don’t prune these they are hard to stake and cage because they can grow up to 8 ft tall.
Favorite Varieties in My Home Garden
I have never grown or purchased a tomato variety that I don’t like. Below are some of the favorites I’ve grown over the years in my home and garden.
Growing Tomatoes All Over The Place
Here is a small collection of images featuring some of the creative places I’ve grown tomatoes.
Raised Bed Tomatoes
Here is a video featuring some of my favorite tomatoes growing in the raised bed garden I have hardly worked in. Lots of weeds.. little watering and look who the winners are. Years ago I would have NEVER shared with you this video featuring the ‘neglected’ growing space. I know realize it is important to document what works with little assistance in the garden.
Video on YouTube.
Tomatoes in this video include:
- Beefsteak Atlas by Burpee
- Chocolate Sprinkles by Bonnie Plants
- Midnight Snack from Jung Seed
- volunteer Juliet tomatoes from the birds!
Pop UP Garden
Growing my Tomatoes All OVER The Place in My Home & Garden. I really enjoyed the raised bed garden I added to my Pond Patio Deck 2018. In that Smart Pot Raised Bed system I had 2 large tomato plants, 3 green peppers, and about 6 different herbs. Stay Tune for Video featuring the progress of this smart pot raised bed garden at the end of the season. Subscribe to my newsletter for the latest. A dear garden friend gave me this 5ft Smart Pot (thank you Marty).
Picking a Bowl of Art
Summer fun is picking all the different varieties of tomatoes that are super easy to grow.
Tomato Growing Tip
If the weather is turning cold or a green tomato falls from the vine just bring it indoors. Place the tomato on a plate or napkin in a cool out of direct sun location and watch it turn red!
I would love to hear from you … what tomatoes do you enjoy to grow? Did I inspire you to think about growing tomatoes?
Happy Tomato Growing,