Every year I’m super busy decorating my home, baking cookies, making Christmas cards and getting together with family and friends that I totally forget to plant my holiday bulbs. I’m lucky if I remember to drop those cute little paper white bulbs I pick up at the local independent garden center into a container after a networking visit. And every year late January rolls around and I’m excited that I was behind in December with my Amaryllis planting habits.
Quick Video Sharing My Tips on Planting the Amaryllis
Be sure your soil is not packed and has good drainage.
- Be sure to plant the bulbs in lose soil.
- No need to buy fancy soils : I use 1/2 compost and 1/2 peat moss mix.
- Be careful not to over water the plants.
- Bulb should be at least 1/3 out of container
- Allow room for the roots to grow but the container doesn’t have to be big!
Let me know what you think about the Amaryllis. Have you planted one for your home or do you give them as gifts?